Alausí - Simbambe Route through "La Nariz del Diablo"
The Devil's Nose Train Ride
The Devil's Nose Route is, without a doubt, the most impressive section of Ecuador's railway: a hair-raising trip down the rocky slopes of the Andes departing form the town of Alausi to the town of Simbambe on the way down to the Coastal Region. [Learn more about the Devil's Nose Train Ride]
The Devil’s Nose at a glance:
- Starting Station: Alausí
- Destination Station: Sibambe
- Distance Covered: 12km, 500 feet of elevation
- Time of trip: Two and a half hours, including about one hour in Sibambe
- Itinerary: Daily except Mondays, train leaves at 8:00, 11:00 and 15:00.
- Extras: Snack and souvenir vendors at both train stations, local dancers, small museum